Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs)

Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs)

To be qualified for Post-Graduation Work Permit the applicant must provide evidence that the program or programs of study were taken in Canada at one of the following eligible Canadian Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs):

  • a public post-secondary institution, such as
    • a college
    • a trade or technical school
    • a university
    • CEGEP (in Quebec)
  • a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions in Quebec
  • a private secondary or post-secondary institution in Quebec offering qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer leading to
    • a diploma of vocational studies (DVS)
    • an attestation of vocational specialization (AVS)
  • a Canadian, private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees, such as an associate, bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree, but only if the student is enrolled in a program of study leading to a degree, as authorized by the province, which may not include all programs of study offered by the private institution

See the Designated Learning Schools DLI list to verify schools’ eligibility.

Designated Learning Schools (DLIs) that lose their designation

Applicants whose DLI loses its designation status before the completion of their program may transfer to another program or remain at the institution that has lost its designation status to complete their program of study. These applicants may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit, provided they meet all other program requirements and have continued to meet the conditions of their study permit (for example, be enrolled and actively pursuing studies).


Rate this post