The Self-employment Program allows the qualified individuals who wish to start their own business and at the same time obtain Canadian permanent residency, to achieve their goals in a couple of years.
You may be qualified for this program if you:
- Wish and be able to make a significant contribution to the Canadian culture or athletic lifestyle
- have relevant experience in cultural activities or athletics
- meet the program’s selection criteria and
- meet medical, security and other conditions
What is the Relevant experience in Self-employment Program?
Your experience is relevant if you have:
- Your experience has been as a self-employed person in athletics or cultural activity
- You have participated in the world-class level in an athletic or cultural activity
If you have at least two years of experience means Relevant experience for a self-employment program.
This relevant experience must be during the past 5 years before you apply.
Minimum Experience Required for Self-employed program
for cultural activities:
- 2 one-year periods being self-employed in cultural activities, or
- 2 one-year periods participating at a world-class level in cultural activities, or
- a combination of a one-year period described in (a), and a one-year period described in (b)
- for athletics:
- 2 one-year periods being self-employed in athletics, or
- 2 one-year periods participating at a world-class level in athletics, or
- a combination of a one-year period described in (a) , and a one-year period described in (b)
Qualified self-employment program jobs can be freelance journalist, set designer, coach/trainer, illustrator, farmer, music teacher, artist, filmmaker, choreographer, theatrical/musical director
There are some important factors that can determine your eligibility in this program such as:
- language proficiency
In addition to the criteria mentioned above, You must also show that you can support yourself and your family financially in Canada
Currently, the processing time for the Self-employment Program is 22 months and the processing fee is $1540.